Vatican :International Youth Forum from June 19-22 in Sassone di Campo, Rome
The Vatican Dicastery for the Laity, Family and Life held an International Youth Forum from June 19-22 in Sassone di Campo, Rome, to discuss implementation of Pope Francis' "Christus Vivit" and to revisit the youth-focused 2018 Synod of Bishops. We were represented by Letizia Bricchi, our Representative in Piacenza.
1. The 2018 Synod of Bishops continuously addresses methods for youth to present concrete input and testimony.
2. We must continue good reception of youth and implementationof "Christus Vivit" in Youth Ministries in both local churches and Episcopal Conferences worldwide.
3. We must create a youth network.
In the introduction, Pope Francis addressed young people saying, "You are the today of God, the today of the Church! … The Church needs you, so that she can be fully herself… You are the body of the risen Lord present in the world."
Youth attendees identified several challenges: a need for consistency and firmness on the part of the Church on various topics regarding abuse, inclusion of women and homosexuals, climate change, the reception of migrants, bioethics, politics, outbuildings, and the web. They were critical of the positions of the Church and expressed desires for change, stressing that listening is fundamental.
Finally, young people proposed the following:
1. Create young diocesan or parish-level pastoral commissions.
2. The Church should not work for the young, but with the young. We must not create preferential areas or youth quota in the Church, but youth must be able to talk and give their opinions on important issues about the community.
3. Create an international youth group at the Department for the Laity, Family and Life.
4. There is no final document because the Synod is a journey and youth represent the Synod throughout their lives.
Getting in touch with other young people from different cultures has been an extremely rewarding experience for Letizia Bricchi.